The Windows Live Messenger application allows you to chat with those friends who are online. It is an instant messaging application that comes as part of the Live Essentials package. Often an error code 80072EFD is present that can be associated with some network error. Here are some guidelines to troubleshoot these issues.
- First check with your internet connection. Open any web browser applications like Firefox or IE and inspect whether you are able to access the internet or not. If the software still is unable to provide service then either the modem or Internet Service Provider is at fault. See if resetting the modem is helpful, or call at the support line for your Internet Service provider.
- Access Windows Update and verify that your version of Internet Explorer is having all the latest updates lined up at Windows Update. Any recommended updates should be installed followed by restarting the system. Once the system restarts, attempt to login to Windows Live Messenger once again.
- It could be that your Firewall software is hindering Windows Live Messenger. Access the Windows Live Messenger firewall page for info on how to get Windows Live Messenger through the simple and common types of firewalls.
- Select the DNS cache and click Start, then Run; then type cmd into the box. Type in ipconfig/flushdns in the command box. Now click Ok. Press Enter again in the command menu.
- You could also try to remove any proxy setting on your browser that is stopping Windows Live Messenger. Select Tools and then Options while Windows Live Messenger is still open. Click on the Connection option in the left menu and select Advanced Settings. Now proceed to delete any information that is present in the SOCKS field. Click on OK twice to ensure these settings are saved.
- You might have to re-register any security files that were preventing Windows Live Messenger. Click on Start followed by Run then type in REGSVR32 softpub.dll initpki.dll wintrust.dll. Click on the Enter option and wait for three pop-ups to appear. These are important to confirm that the files have been registered successfully.