Windows 7 is a very good and efficient operating system. With the release of this wonderful OS, Microsoft added one more feather to their collection.
Regardless of a good platform to work on, help utility is very necessary for users. Platforms are different and users don’t have knowledge on every aspect of the platform. Windows 7 help is the help utility in Windows 7 that provides information for the users on different aspects of the platform. The files in the Windows help utility are Windows help files and you can increase the database strength of the help utility by adding new WinHelp files.
1. Power ON your PC and wait for the Windows platform to load. After that, download the Shalom Help Maker and the Help Compiler. You should extract the files to the same folder or directory. Download and Install the Windows 7 Help program in your system.
2. Open Shalom Help Maker by double clicking on the file Shalomhelp.exe. In the program, type a title for the WinHelp file you are going to create.
3. For each page, give a title by typing in the header text field. For indexing the topic in search, type in the keywords and phrases users should enter. Please enter keywords and phrases which are most likely to be entered by the user.
4. Now you can add the details in the help pages like text, pop-ups, Images, etc. The data in the Help files should be brief. At the same time, users should be able to grasp the information.
5. You can press the F4 key to watch a preview of the file you have created. If there are some objects which are out of order or misaligned, you can make adjustments to correct it.
6. Press Ctrl + H together to test the WinHelp file. Make sure that the whole file is in proper order and the contents are appropriate.
7. Press the F9 button to compile the Help file. You will be prompted for a file name. Type in the file name and you are done with creating the WinHelp file.
If you follow the above instructions, you can create a WinHelp file and add it to your Windows Help utility. You can use the same method in Windows Vista also.